The Legislative Affairs Committee is charged with monitoring, developing, and advocating for legislation that affects audiologists and speech-language pathologists and the clients and patients they serve. The VP for Legislative Affairs works closely with the TAASLP lobbyist to develop strategies for engaging legislators in issues pertinent to our professions. The Reimbursement Committee is a subcommittee of the Legislative Affairs Committee and works to ensure that members receive the most current information regarding rules and regulations for reimbursement and also advocates for reimbursement for our services.
TAASLP conducts periodic ‘Day on the Hill’ events to allow members to meet with their legislators and directly advocate for our professions at Legislative Plaza
- TAASLP is monitoring legislation repealing Professional Privilege Tax
- TAASLP continues to monitor the implementation of the Affordable Care Act in Tennessee on provision of services by audiologists and speech-language pathologists by monitoring discussions on insurance exchanges and Medicare expansion
- TAASLP is participating in developing rule regarding telepractice for audiologists and speech-language pathologists
- Update on Insure Tennessee
- New Laws of Special Interest to TAASLP
2015 – Introduced legislation to repeal the Professional Privilege Tax. Our efforts contributed to the study that is being signed into law (as of 4.22.16)
2011 – Received ASHA STAR grant for developing student advocacy participation at the state level. Conducted ‘Day on the Hill’ event for undergraduate and graduate students from across the state
2011 – Legislation mandating insurance coverage for hearing aids for children passed
2007 – Legislation explicitly allowing speech-language pathologists to perform endoscopy passed
Advocated for legislation mandating newborn hearing screening
Advocated for insurance mandate for autism coverage
If you would like to be involved in the Legislative Affairs Committee, or would like to discuss current and/or prospective legislation, please contact TAASLP VP Legislative Affairs, Dr. Courtney Guthrie, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks for all you do to support infants, children, and adults with communication and swallowing disorders!