Licensure with Department of Education
- Please note that if you went to a school within Tennessee, you are considered to be an in-state student. If you attended a school outside of Tennessee (e.g., Kentucky, California, Arkansas, etc.), you are considered to be an out of state student.
- If you are an out of state SLP seeking licensure, please note that the TDOE website refers to an Out of State Educator Preparation Verification Form for out of state applicants. This form is no longer applicable for out of state SLPs seeking initial licensure in Tennessee as the Office of Educator Licensing and Preparation are working on updating the licensure process. However, you may have to work closely with the Office of Educator Licensing and Preparation about this as your application may be denied initially. If you have any questions or concerns about licensing, please contact TAASLP.
- If you are an in state SLP seeking licensure, work closely with student services and the Teacher Licensure Advisors at your school in order to have needed information inputted into TN Compass. This will include the following:
- ALL transcripts from undergraduate, masters, doctorates
- Verification form from program that hours were met appropriately
- Test scores from PRAXIS (sent directly to Dept of Ed on testing day)
- After all needed information inputted, you will receive an email requesting you log back in to TN Compass and complete a short personal affirmation, then it will submit to the Department of Education for review.